Paneer Bhurji: A Scrambled Paneer Dish with Indian Flavors
Paneer bhurji is a popular North Indian dish that consists of scrambled paneer cheese cooked with aromatic spices and vegetables. This vegetarian dish is quick and easy to prepare and is a great option for a protein-packed breakfast or a light lunch. If you’re new to Indian cuisine or simply looking to add some variety to your meal repertoire, here’s a recipe for paneer bhurji that you can try at home.
- 1 block of paneer cheese, crumbled
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onion and green chili (if using) to the pan and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomato to the pan and cook until it becomes soft and mushy.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, and salt to the pan. Mix well and cook for a minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the crumbled paneer to the pan and mix well with the spice mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the paneer is heated through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with roti or naan bread.
- You can add vegetables like bell peppers, peas, or mushrooms to the paneer bhurji for added nutrition and flavor.
- Adjust the amount of spices according to your taste preferences.
- You can use store-bought paneer or make your own paneer at home for this dish.
- To make the dish creamier, you can add a tablespoon of cream or yogurt at the end.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated for later consumption.
In conclusion, paneer bhurji is a delicious and versatile dish that’s perfect for a quick and easy vegetarian meal. With this recipe, you can make a flavorful and protein-packed meal in just a few minutes. So, next time you’re looking for a new breakfast or lunch idea, give paneer bhurji a try and enjoy the flavors of India in your own kitchen.